About 40 minutes from the City of Faro, is the City of Albufeira. Albufeira is about 30 km of coast, and is where is located some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The City Walls are from the strong defense of the Arabs who lived there for a long time.
The City of Albufeira has the particularity of have the beach in the area where it creates a lagoon from the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. The Church is the old Mosque of the Arabs and today is adapted to the Christians. The Cova do Xorino is a cave beneath the rock that surround the City.
The City has several offers at Tourist. You can play Golf, Horse Riding, Tennis, Squash, Gymnastic, Bowling, Cycling, Swimming, Theme Parks, Zoo Marine and Aquatic Sports as Windsurfing, Sailing, Diving, Jet Ski and Skiing. In Albufeira everyone can have a holidays, the City offers a wide variety of activities.
If you are looking for a sunny destination with stunning beaches, lively nightlife, and rich history, you might want to consider Albufeira, one of the most popular towns in the Algarve region of Portugal. Albufeira has a long and fascinating past, dating back to the Roman times and influenced by the Moorish occupation. In fact, its name comes from the Arabic word “Al-buhera”, meaning castle of the sea.
Albufeira was severely damaged by the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, which caused huge waves to destroy most of its buildings along the coast. However, it managed to recover and become a fishing village until it was discovered by tourists in the 1960s. Since then, it has grown into a modern resort town with plenty of attractions and activities for all tastes.
Some of the highlights of Albufeira include:
– The Marina: This is where you can find colorful boats, restaurants, bars, shops, and entertainment options. You can also book boat trips to explore
the nearby caves and islands or enjoy water sports such as jet skiing or parasailing.
– The Old Town: This is where you can experience some of Albufeira’s charm and history. You can stroll along its narrow streets lined with whitewashed houses, visit its churches and museums, or relax at one of its squares or terraces.
– The Strip: This is where you can find some of Albufeira’s nightlife. You can choose from a variety of clubs, pubs, bars, and restaurants that cater to different music styles and crowds. You can also enjoy live shows or street performers.
– The Beaches: This is what makes Albufeira so attractive to many visitors. You can enjoy some of its golden sandy beaches that stretch for miles along the coast. Some of them are Praia dos Pescadores (Fisherman’s Beach), Praia do Túnel (Tunnel Beach), Praia da Oura (Oura Beach), or Praia da Falésia (Cliff Beach).
If you want to explore more of Albufeira’s surroundings, you can also take a day trip to some nearby places such as:
– Silves Castle: This is one of the best-preserved Moorish castles in Portugal. It was built in the 11th century on top of a hill overlooking Silves town. It has impressive walls, towers, gates, and courtyards that offer panoramic views over the countryside.
– Marinha Beach: This is one of the most beautiful and emblematic beaches in Portugal. It has clear turquoise water surrounded by limestone cliffs that form natural arches and caves.
– Benagil Cave: This is one of the most famous caves in Portugal. It is accessible only by boat and has a distinctive hole in its roof that lets sunlight shine through onto the sand below.
Albufeira is definitely worth visiting if you want to discover a town that has both an ancient and modern soul. Whether you are interested in relaxing on its beaches or enjoying its nightlife, you will surely have fun in Albufeira.